Pages

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Pune -city of schools and military

Hello all, 
I am back in Pune.  Just visited the Aga Khan Museum which is magnificent but sadly under resourced or mismanaged or both. Specifically all the wonderful photos of Gandhji and related artifacts are falling apart, and some pictures even rest on the floor.  I have to prepare for a wedding reception which I got an impromptu invite yesterday.

I left Toronto Jan 16 9pm, landed in London 9am, departed 1hr late at 11am, and reached my hotel in Mumbai at almost 3am on Tuesday Jan 18, 2011. Departed for Pune on the 5pm train after some napping, wandering with a NY girl I met, and a McAloo Tiki, Paneer Wrap, and Fanta float. Yesterday after sorting out my cell phone, I visited Doorstep Schools, an innovative program to ensure all youngsters, even those who live at construction sites, have a chance at an education. On the way back I performed the pilgrimage to my alma matter (sorta), Pune University.  Oh, how it has changed!  I then went to Royal Orchid Central for dinner over ghazals, then to Dhuaa, a late nite shisha joint where the many students in this town spend their late nites.

Hopefully will share more from Hyderabad.
Naheed  

No comments:

Post a Comment