Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

banking in Pemba + confusion over cities

The Barclay's branch here is brutal.  I can't ever complain about Canadian banks after seeing the daily cues here (I may take that back once back in my TD branch).  We speak of challenges 'banking the unbanked', especially in rural areas - but even in the city access is poor.  People are so patient - my guess is either they don't have a busy day (perhaps their employer books a whole day off for them?).  Millenium/BIM is a local bank which sometimes is quite hectic, but I expected Barclay's to have a different standard.

 

Noone knows where I am. I always say 'Pemba Mozambique' but later am always asked 'how's Tanzania?' Well, there is Pemba Mozambique, Pemba Island (Zanzibar), and now I've discovered Pemba, Zambia. Perhaps like when we name a child, we should check a book before we name our cities. We need to copyright city names going forward and create a city names database....that's my bright idea!





No comments:

Post a Comment