Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

BAGGIE-A-MOYO, BAGGIE A MOYO, BAGGIE A MOYO

That's the sound of the fare collector on our dala dala on the way to Bagamoyo. Was a journey much longer than expected, meaning my friend and I had a very limited amount of time there. We had lunch, wandered the beach a bit (where locals take the risky boats to Zanzibar; a 4-5hr journey for 4000 tsh, unlike the 2hr boat we take from dar for 25k tsh), checked out the slave fort, and the 1889 ithna-ashari mosque. Couldn't find the JK, but have heard it's nice, and that there were many of us, and Indians in general, in years past. This very small town was used to store slaves from the mainland to be sent to Z-bar, where of course the Oman Sultanate was based. Also interesting to know Baga seems to be the 'rasta' capital of Tz. 
 
My journey was 'free', as it cost 250 tsh to get to Mwenge bus station, then 1600 to Baga, then 2000 in Baga, and 1000 to get back to Mwenge. So about $3.50 return/pp!   I'll ignore the 7k cab within dar, as we were kinda tired and wanted to get home. 
 
Only 2 weeks remain in my time in Dar, and I'm finally getting to explore this place. The heat and air pollution often keep me off the streets, but now I explore the food markets and am trying to cram in as much as possible.

1 comment:

  1. You sir have some explaining to do!
    How have you managed to travel the world in the last month? And you're moving to Mozambique for the rest of the fellowship?

    ReplyDelete