Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

10 days to go....

Although after many global adventures I feel desensitized to all I see, after reading other blogs I've realized many things out of my day which are quite odd and memorable.  So although they don't involve anything particularly exciting, they'll help me remember my time here, while keeping all of you informed of my day to day non-adventures.

-today, a jet passed right over our building.  we all froze and stared at each other.  usually, it's just the people on the roof, who've constantly been at it - some kind of maintenance project which we're forced to put up with.  but today, it was different...it was incredibly loud and scary.  must be preparation for next months elections.

-everyday (well, not everyday) the same askari (guard) watches me walk by and grab my Azam ice cream. neither of us make any attempt to talk to each other.  then i go to the same cashier (Janet) who is often chatting with her colleagues, perhaps about the guy who always needs ice cream, perhaps about something else.  

-the same moments exist with the askari at home.  however, they appreciate my few Swahili words and the occasional food offerings I leave them.  And the day guard often throws a line or two at me like 'safi sana' which i realized was a compliment for when i have that 'very clean' look

-occasionally people I don't know mumble things in swahili to me. being brown, they assume i'm a local, and they probably think i'm a snob for not responding.  but whenever i respond, it turns out they weren't talking to me in the 1st place.  so i resort to just keeping to myself.  

-Apparently USD bills <$50 or from before 2000 are too hard for vendors to convert. So don't bring 'em!

-Joining the Ramadhan sports competition has been enjoyable, though playing badminton in 25 degree night heat with countless mosquitos isn't the most relaxing experience.  Everyone just wears whatever they were wearing earlier - noone changes to athletic equipment.  Hearing the mix of english, swahili, kutchi, and hindi at JK and related events is very interesting.  Especially when youth dis each other in kutchi.



-we are now so used to the pounding and banging on the roof. we don't even know what it is anymore or when it'll be done, we just deal with it! esp odd when in board meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment