Pages

Friday, September 3, 2010

Another Day in Dar passes....

Every morning I awaken to the sounds of screaming children. As I peak out the window behind my bed, I see Olympid and Shaban Robert schools. The playfulness is often accompanied by loud drums, followed by students yelling into the mic, perhaps for practicing their English. I always told myself I'd wake early to listen in, or at least to go for a run along the beach, but that never happened. Often I'll walk into work; now used to the thermometer hitting 28 by the 9am.  I'll watch people frying mohogo, vitumbua, etc in the street.  Cabbies are eager to take me to work, often strategically waiting on my street for me to walk out. After the niceties I sit down at my desk, promising not to touch email or fb until real work is done - I usually fail though. Around 2pm I'll crave a treat from City Supermarket, so I'll grab an Omega ice cream bar from Azam's -Bakhresa foods, 110ml of deliciousness for Tsh 900 - $0.60.  

Today is my last day...I'll miss hearing the same tunes over and over all day everyday! Mind you it gets louder as it gets closer to 6; I think they're trying (in vain) to get us out of here!  Here is a sampling...

And I miss you
smooth operator
time after time
madonna american pie
sting desert rose
I've definitely got used to my life here, living local, getting around, eating cooked bananas (matoke), ugali, maharage, etc.  Pemba will be a completely different experience, and I have a feeling it'll get pretty boring after a while. So I just picked up some DVD's - 'Salt', 'The Expendables', and Snoop Dogg videos.

This weekend is hectic, am meeting up with Venus (a fellow from Z-Bar with Rahaleo Project), lunch with Moez (my nanima's nephew, who is visually impaired, and great company), meeting with my 2nd cuz Nafeez and his new wife, etc.

Will have to tell you about last weekend...had a nice trip to Kigamboni...but not so good stories getting on the ferry on the way back! 

No comments:

Post a Comment