Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

a love hate relationship.

I'm glad to be back in Pemba. A new house, a refreshed mind, a/c in the office. The hot weather is not so different from Mombasa. I can get used to the sun setting at 5pm.

But alas. No water in the new place. It's being resolved I am told. We will see.  Nothing reminds us how fortunate we are than having to use buckets of water - for showering, washing dishes, washing your face, brushing your teeth, etc.  And spending a whole afternoon trying to buy a motorbike - after asking them to prepare it yesterday,  I arrived today just before their two hour lunch break - they insisted I come back. Finally it was ready - but the municipal office, I found out, closes at 3pm. And a Swiss friend insisted, since police here don't hesitate to shoot, evident by the riots in Maputo only a few months earlier, I don't try to get away with riding without proper registrations!

So what was Kenya like? Spent some time on the beaches, visited other AKFC Fellows, visited 94yr old bapa (enjoyed learning about the family history in East Africa), attending JK, visiting First MicroBank Nairobi, trying to arrange a meeting with CARE, checking out the restaurants and night life, and seeing Kenya by train (Tsavo). The mild weather in Nairobi was brilliant. I can definitely say it's a city I could live in - but that's easy to say being based in Pemba!


No comments:

Post a Comment