Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

No bananas for you!

Last week as I prepared to leave Tucuman, Argentina for Salta (en route to Chile), I thought I'd grab some bananas and yogurt for the journey! It looked like a buy 2 get 50% off. I thought I scored a deal. Alas, I somehow misinterpreted the Spanish, even though I'd asked a local if what I read was correct.  I ended up paying full price, with 2 - 1kg bags of yogurt! The lineup was huge - so when the young guy at the cash till looked at me, then looked at my bananas, and said 'no' in an I know better than you manner and shoved them under his counter, I was a bit distraught. I insisted on getting my bananas as the people behind me frowned and laughed. He eventually showed me a bar code, so I realized  he wasnt just going to refer to a binder (as our grocers would to obtain the barcode). I accepted my fate, knowing I would now travel without bananas. I went to what appeared to be a money counting stall before exiting the store, treating it like it were customer service.  I showed the lady my bags of yogurt and gestured for a straw. She politely said it wasnt possible, but then she reached down and grabbed a plastic cup, which I gratefully accepted! Seing how helpful she was, I mimicked my banana dilemma. She had a quick word with the cashier (hopefully I didn't get him in trouble; they were quite busy after all!) And then disappeared, reappearing shortly after with a produce bag around them and a barcode! She gave them to the cashier and then I was on my way!

No comments:

Post a Comment